How to become a GAL / AMC
In order to recieve a State-rate appointment as a Guardian ad Litem or Attorney for Minor Child, an individual must meet all of the following requirements:
1) Successful completion of the Sate of CT - Family Matters Comprehensive GAL / AMC training program (GAL's & AMC's);
2) Submit a Qualified GAL / AMC application to the Division of Public Defender Services - Child Protection Unit (GAL's & AMC's);
3) Admitted to practice law in the State of Connecticut (applicable for AMC's only);
4) Maintain an active status of good standing with the Connecticut Statewide Grievance Committee (applicable for AMC's only);
5) Pursuant to C.G.S. §46b-123(e), receive approval of your Qualified GAL / AMC Application by the Division of Public Defender Services (GAL's & AMC's).
Note: The Qualified GAL / AMC application is not currently on the OCPD website. Please go to the Division of Public Defender Services website www.ct.gov/ocpd, click on Login at the very bottom (in small print), follow the directions and make sure you check off E-alerts. You will receive an e-alert when the Qualified GAL / AMC Application becomes available on the OCPD website.