How do I get a lawyer for my child?

October 4, 2017

If you and the other parent disagree about custody or visitation in a pending case, you have the right to ask a judge to appoint a lawyer for your child by filing a Motion for Appointment of Counsel for Minor Children at the clerk’s office in Superior Court. If the lawyer is appointed as “attorney,” her job is to represent what your child wants. If the lawyer is appointed as “guardian-ad-litem,” she will tell the court what she believes to be in the best interests of the child. Usually the fees are divided between the parents, but the state may pay the attorney’s fee if the parents are unable to afford them. If you want CLC to represent your child, you can ask the judge who will determine if the case meets our criteria. Click here to view or print a pamphlet with a sample motion for requesting an attorney for your child.