How to Become a GAL/AMC
In order to receive a state-rate appointment as a Guardian ad litem or Attorney for Minor Child, an individual must meet all of the following requirements:
- Successful completion of the State of CT – Family Matters Comprehensive GAL/AMC training program
- Submit a Qualified GAL/AMC application to the Division of Public Defender Services – Child Protection Unit
- Pursuant to C. G. S. §46b-123(e), receive approval of your Qualified GAL/AMC Application by the Division of Public Defender Services
- For AMCs only: Be admitted to practice law in the State of Connecticut
- For AMCs only: Maintain an active status of good standing with the Connecticut Statewide Grievance Committee
Note: The Qualified GAL/AMC Application is not currently on the OCPD website. For a copy, contact OCPD at 860.509.6400. Otherwise, you can go to their website, click on Login in the footer of the page, and follow the directions presented to you before checking off “E-Alerts.” You will receive an e-alert when the Qualified GAL/AMC Applications becomes available online.