How do I establish that I am the father of my child?

October 4, 2017

If you are married to the mother at the time the child is born, you are presumed to be the legal father. If you are not married to the mother, you and the mother can file an acknowledgment of paternity to establish your paternity. This form may be completed in the hospital when a child is born, or at the local state Department of Social Services office. Only once paternity has been established are you considered the legal father of the child.

If you are unable to file an acknowledgment because of the mother’s refusal to cooperate, you can file a petition with the probate court in the town where the child resides to establish your paternity.